Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Terror Tuesday : Indiana Jones

Everybody knows this one. The face melting scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. This movie came out the same year I was born. My older brother used to watch it; along with the rest of the Indiana Jones movies; every weekend, for as long as I can remember. But there were always parts when he would make me leave the room. This one time, I guess I was about 6 or 7, he fell asleep. Leaving me alone with the movie. Not remembering to leave the room at the right moment, I was innocently exposed to the horrors of the face melting scene. My brother was rudely awakened by my horrified scream.
 Raiders of the Lost Ark - Opening of the Ark Ceremony
Needless to say, I had nightmares for more nights than I would like to remember; and my brother got grounded for two weeks. My brother's idea of revenge for getting him in trouble was to traumatize me further with the heart removal scene from Temple of Doom. Wanting to earn back my brothers good graces, I never said a word to my mother. But my nightmares were fueled for years by the combinations of these two images on repeat in my subconscious.
Temple of Doom - Heart Removal Scene

No comments:

Post a Comment