Thursday, July 17, 2014

Then and Now : Strawberry Shortcake


I will only be discussing the aesthetics of this character. Not the content of her shows. The Strawberry Shortcake of the 80's is the one I grew up with, and love so much. Every time I see this sweet girl it brings a smile to my face, with nostalgic memories of hours spent playing with the dolls of her and her friends. My sisters and I fighting over which one of us gets to be Strawberry Shortcake.
Her reintroduction in 2003 brought with it some drastic changes to Strawberry Shortcakes appearance. It was incredibly disappointing. The sweet girl from my childhood is no more.
The 2009 relaunch saw yet another redesign of Strawberry Shortcake. This one just as bad, if not worse than the 2003 version.
It is still not the original, but of all of the reimaginings of this character; the one from, The Strawberry Shortcake Movie: Sky's the Limit, is my favorite so far. From her strawberry bonnet-ish hat, to her green and white striped stockings, her overall look is definitely a nod to her original.
I am not against reimagining characters from any genre, as long as it is done well. Please stop assaulting my childhood with abysmal abominations of what was.

No comments:

Post a Comment